Google
 

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Do something yourself ... #2

A few months ago my Mr. Coffee coffee grinder suddenly stopped working mid-grind. So I says..."crap!", cause you never really want to run out of coffee. As I sit there staring at the darned thing...and banging it a few times...the wife immediately chimes in and suggests that we go buy another one...seeing as they are only like $25. So I think about it and immediately say...nah, I can fix this.

So I whip out the screwdriver and start taking it apart. It only takes a minute to get the cover off and the thing is darned hot. Hmmm, this is probably why it stopped. So I look around for anything that resembles a fuse...aha, there it is, on the wire lead located just before the motor. That's gotta be it. So I get the soldering iron out and cut the fuse off and solder the wire back together...put the case back on and voila! 15 mins start to finish...which turns out to be roughly $100 per hour savings...not even factoring in the saved trip to the store to buy a new one.

Logic: it's already broken...what more harm could I do but waste a few minutes of my life with a soldering iron...which by the way is NEVER a waste of time ;-)

No comments: