Google
 

Friday, April 6, 2007

Do something yourself #1

A few weeks ago, I started working towards selling my truck. I took it into the Dodge dealership to finally get that coolant leak taken care of. They informed me that they needed to replace the water pump and it would be about $550. I said...sure...seeing as it would be exceedingly difficult for me to sell my truck with a puddle of fresh green liquid underneath. They also informed me that they could fix that broken passenger side mirror for a mere $350. So I said to myself: "Self, huh? $350 for a mirror???". So I respectfully declined. FYI - I later found the entire motorized passenger side mirror assembly for a mere $35 ($44 incl. shipping) on Ebay auto parts.

Fast forward to last weekend when I was cleaning my truck... I managed to pull the rear view mirror off my windshield...oops! So for a few days I was driving around town with two out of my three mirrors out of commission. It was really driving me crazy so I stopped at Checker Auto and picked up some adhesive. By Wed afternoon I had reattached the rear view ($4 adhesive and 5 mins labor) and also installed the passenger side mirror ($44 parts and 23 minutes labor). Afterwards I sat down in the truck, admired all three working mirrors and basked in the glory that I had saved myself $306 in just 23 minutes...~$800 per hour. I wish I could find a way to sustain that level of return ;-)

1 comment:

CherkyB said...

In the course of 60 seconds, I decided not to buy a used short school bus, thereby saving myself $1100. That $66000/hour.