Google
 

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Rob's 401K Summary

I had a request to open up the Cavitation kimono and share with everyone my 401K performance. I have to admit, I have not done this in over 2 years so I was a little unsure about what I was going to find. Weeeellll, here we go:


So on average I guess this is just about right...10%. Now clearly this little exercise has shown me that there may be a little room for improvement. I am not sure why the US growth funds are doing so poorly but they appear to be something I should jettison...I will get on that when I return from CR. Also, despite what CherkyB claims (as he is hunting for more ad revenue) the European growth fund has been one of my top performers...maybe we should increase exposure there. Finally, the Russell 1000 Value fund has been another stellar performer - somewhat surprising to me.

There is one notable item missing from the table above...The Company Fund! As I mentioned in a comment somewhere else, I have never participated in my "Company" stock fund...seeing as it would be the equivalent of putting all my eggs in one basket (a decision I made back in 1998 - well before the Enron meltdown). As it turns out, that was a tremendously good move. That fund has a 1 year return of -17% and a 10 year average annual rate of return of a paltry 2.5%...not even keeping up with inflation!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Remember when picking investments going forward that ... "Past performance is not a guarantee of future performance" ... or whatever the phrase is that they all print on their information! Otherwise ... you are hired! I would take a 10% rate of return on our retirement investiments in a heartbeat!!!

CherkyB said...

It's interesting that I have basically the same investments in my 401(k), and despite them claiming to have had a 10% return, I cannot detect anything other than negative growth in the bottom line.