Google
 

Thursday, March 8, 2007

In The Beginning...

A very-very long time ago (when I was about 13) one of my math teachers, Mrs. Fox, decided to play a little "game" in an effort to get us involved with numbers and graphing. The game was your typical "stock pick-em" game where you started with $100K and after two weeks you had to chart all your gains and losses. The one with the biggest gain won. I was not the winner....not even close. I ended up losing a lot of money...

Looking back, while this was a great math/graphing lesson, it was a terrible lesson in investing. Mission accomplished Mr. Fox! Clearly, a two week horizon was too short and the reason I lost ;-) I recall that the winner just randomly chose a stock and got lucky. One of my major holdings was this company called IBM because I was already into computers. Well, unfortunately in the late 80's IBM was not the rocket I desired (that did not happen until about '93). So I ended up shuffling around a bunch of stocks chasing the high fliers and generally doing nothing more than losing money to transaction fees...hmmm...come to think of it, this might have been a pretty good lesson in investing --> in how NOT to invest!

All I remember was being terribly frustrated with my current "holdings" but always being able to build scenarios where I could have made a killing...only if I knew which stocks were "good" and which were IBM ;-) And thus the seed of interest in personal finance was first planted.

I do have another blog for more general family stuff, but I found very quickly that I liked to write about money topics...a personal passion. So, I decided not to bore my family to death with finance posts and decided to move my financial diatribes over here. I will be exploring the path that led me to this point in my life and writing about financial interests/decisions moving forward. Hope you enjoy the ride...and feel free to commend/ask questions along the way...seeing as that is a big part of blogging....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh heh. After 30 years of teaching, you should see the condo I bought in Cabo with all the transactions fees I collected!

Rob said...

Condo? I was expecting a 20 bedroom mansion with the amount of trading we all did!!

Rob said...

Mr Fox, and how are you doing? Are you still at MMS or is my dad the only one still slumming around there ;-)