Google
 

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Zecco.com Review

So there is a "new" website called ZECCO.COM which offers 10 free trades per month ($5 after 10). This is perfect for people who trade like myself. I rarely have more than 6 trades per month. Day traders have other options available to them which I am sure are better....but this one looked about right for me.

Instead of just telling you about this I decided to give it an actual try and then update everyone on how it went. I have now been using this for about 2 months and it definitely has it's plusses and minuses so far.

Pluses (or musts in some cases):

  • Your money is protected through SIPC/FIRNA for your first $500K ($100K cache max) and an additional coverage up to $35M (900K cash max) through Lloyd's of London.
  • Their transactions are very fast! I had a few instances with Citibank where transactions took minutes...yes minutes. With Zecco I can re-check in about 2 seconds and not only has my transaction gone through but my entire portfolio has been adjusted with the new information...that is way better than Citi!
  • They have an investing community. You can see what others are doing and chat with others about certain stocks. This can also be found on Google and Yahoo Finance...but I often find that those forums have a lot of people just yapping about...the folks here tend to be much more focused.
  • Customer service is friendly and fast. I asked a few dumb questions in the beginning via email and always got fast responses (hours instead of days like Citi) with clear answers (not written in India).
  • Did I mention 10 free trades per month? Now...this is important because I am not a huge investor. I typically invest in blocks of only $3-$8K. When I am paying almost $60 to get in and out of a position...that can be as much as 2% of my gains....and that is a big bite when you can get that 2% back here at Zecco. So in my mind...I just improved my investing intelligence by 2% even if I am just as wrong as I was yesterday ;-)
Minuses:
  • Money transfers in/out of my account take a little time. The first one took about 4 days to clear and the second one took about 2 days to clear. This can be a little frustrating if you want to make a move quick...but in the grand scheme of things...once you have money in your account...this is a non-issue.
  • They have a pretty good stock screener...but better ones can be found elsewhere.
  • The interface is getting much better. It was a little clumsy when I first tried it...but it is rapidly getting more organized and much more responsive. They need to keep up the improvements and it will quickly be better than Citi.
Overall, I really like Zecco. The fact that I can dabble in trades without paying the 1-2% penalty of the big brokers is exactly what I was looking for. The tools are sufficient and the trade executions are excellent (so far). If you want to sign-up and try yourself...just remember to tell them that I sent you there ;-)

6 comments:

tonyleachsf said...

Thanks for the positive review, Robert! We love it when people help spread the word to their friends. Like you acknowledged, we are working hard to continually make improvements, and I'm glad you've noticed!

Are you active in ZeccoShare? Feel free to look me up (tonyleachsf) and let me know if you have any more thoughts, pluses or minuses!

- Tony Leach (Zecco Product Manager)

Rob said...

Now that is pretty impressive...I will have to ask Tony how he found this entry so fast...they must have an automated system looking for grass-roots Zecco fans ;-)

When was the last time Microsoft or Citibank responded to my blog post ;-)

Hey Tony, do you have any job openings?

tonyleachsf said...

Well I suppose we have an automated system. Google blog search will spit out an RSS feed of any Zecco mention online, and we love reading what it gives us!

It's also what's fun about being the kind of company that wants to foster conversations with and between our users :)

- Tony

Anonymous said...

yeah, their screener needs a little help. I've made a better alternative to the stock screener:

http://www.valueinvestingplanet.com/groups/valueinvestingplanet

Anonymous said...

the link must have gotten cut off. Click on my name instead.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that you haven't had any problems with Zecco. I guess if you never have to call customer service, Zecco would serve you fine. I opened a Zecco account several months ago. I still have an account, but I don't trade much with them because I have had many many problems. First, their website went down one too many times. Second, my buying power was cut in half one too many times (money just disappeared for a day because of their "system glitch"). Third, it is like pulling teeth getting money I was due. I was due money for a fractional share when the company merged with another. After about a dozen e-mails and several phone calls, they finally paid the fractional share about a month later. Also, a friend of mine opened an account through their Friends Referral Program. I was supposed to receive $50 for the referral. Guess what? Didn't get it. There have been other issues, but there isn't enough space. Customer service sucks!!! They are rude and lack knowledge.